Code of Conduct
AACN Connect is a trusted platform where members work together to learn, share, communicate, and find inspiration. We want all participants to feel welcome, safe, and respected when using AACN Connect and engaging in online discussions. To ensure the best possible experience for all users, AACN has established some basic guidelines and expectations for interacting within our peer discussion groups.
Deans, staff, and faculty from AACN member schools may participate in AACN Connect. Members of the Graduate Nursing Student Academy may participate in GNSA Connect. We encourage you to use this platform to share your experiences, seek advice from peers, and discuss trending topics related to academic nursing. If you do not wish to participate, you may opt-out of the community platform at any time within your MyAACN profile.
When engaging on AACN Connect, which includes any Leadership Network or specialty community, you must follow the discussion group rules and guidelines outlined below. To preserve a climate that encourages both civil and respectful dialogue, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate membership in this community for anyone who violates these rules.
General Posting Guidelines
- When initiating a discussion thread, state concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Add a signature tag on all messages, which includes your name, affiliation, and school.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate discussions or libraries. If you decide the topic would be better for another group, consider deleting your previous entry.
- Do not spam several topics or discussion groups with the same message.
- Please note carefully all items listed in the disclaimer and legal rules below, particularly regarding the copyright ownership of information posted.
- If you need to update your e-mail address, school, or position, you do not need to remove yourself from the community and rejoin; simply make the changes in your MyAACN profile.
Commercial Messages and Research Posts
- Do not post messages intended to advertise or sell any products, items, or materials. Advertising faculty vacancies is prohibited.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted in the community is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws. Do not post commercial messages in any discussion group, as a resource library entry, or in other areas. You may contact people directly with product and service information that you believe they may be interested in based on the community discussion.
- Be mindful of both FERPA and HIPAA privacy rules.
- When posting about a study, which includes recruiting participation in a research effort, members are allowed to make one introductory and one follow-up post. Please include information regarding IRB and any other approvals.
Etiquette and Civility
- Do not challenge or criticize others. The discussions and comments are meant to stimulate conversation, not create tension.
- Given that AACN is a nonpartisan organization, we ask that posts remain nonpartisan as well.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Messages of that nature will be immediately deleted, and the member will be removed from the community.
- Report any concerns to AACN Connect staff.
This site is provided as a service for the members and affiliates of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN).
- AACN is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. In no event shall AACN be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
- Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner.
- In addition, the posting party grants AACN and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use in such a manner.
- AACN does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, when an inappropriate posting is brought to AACN's attention, we will take appropriate action.
- AACN reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
Thank you for being part of our community, please contact AACN Connect staff if you have any questions.